Thursday, 9 August 2012

Cultural Treasures Festival, Open House Melbourne, Melbourne Zoo and Aquarium

Cultural Treasures Festival, University of Melbourne

Yum Cha

Open House Melbourne, at the top of the CH2 tower

Flinders street station

A koala bear at Melbourne Zoo

My first weekend in Melbourne and it was the Cultural Treasures Festival at the University, Open house Melbourne and the Australian Antiquarian Book Fair. The Cultural Treasures Festival showcased an array of Melbourne’s museums and collections, featuring unique exhibitions, talks and tours. I managed to help out at the event as I knew someone working there; I was based in the Old Quadrangle a really pretty part of the University. I then met up with an Alumni of Birmingham who lives in Melbourne. She took me to Chinatown, to a restaurant called The Sharkfin and we had Yum Cha, which means drinking tea. The waiters filled the table with food, much of which I had no idea what it was but everything tasted good! We then went to one of the buildings open for Melbourne’s Open House weekend. It was the CH2 tower, it is occupied by the City of Melbourne council, and was the first purpose-built office building in Australia to achieve a maximum Six Green Star rating – designed in a unique way to save energy and reduce emissions. We had a guided tour and then went on to the roof where the employees have lunch and looked out over Melbourne. Sunday I went to Melbourne’s Zoo and Aquarium and saw lots of Australian animals including koala bears, kangaroo's and wallabies.

No comments:

Post a Comment